Sunday 26 September 2010

TO TEAR OR NOT TO TEAR

Its funny how tear can be translated as 'to rip' or as in 'shed a tear', and today I did feel a little sad. I have started ripping up books or should I say "breaking" old and vintage books, the feeling was 'sad'.
Hamlet and the Players by D Maclise original old print
Its a shame to destroy such fine old books especially when some of them are 'bound' so nicely. However, the books themselves have none or very little value as 'books' because of the condition they were in.
death of cleopatra by ford madox brown old prints
I had deliberated over doing this for some time, I did not have the "heart" but needs must and at least there are some 'good' things to come out of it.
malvolio and olivia by d maclise old print
Firstly, you could class this as recycling because the pages that are in a really bad condition, I pop in the "recycling" bin. Any pages in good condition but do not have any illustrations or text, I am keeping for the time being although this could become a problem.
The Wooing of Desdemona by CW Cope RA
What to do with these old pages is something I am having to think about and its a shame to see them go in the recycling bin. I had considered using them for some artwork, collages or maybe wall papering? All sounds a bit 'mad' but its only a thought!
florizel and perdita by mrs mary f raphael old prints
The best thing about these old books are the wonderful and sometimes, a little "weird"  illustrations. I have been saving these in order to frame and keep or sell as they are, cannot make up my mind which is best.
original illustration from vitalogy vintage old book
original illustration from vitalogy vintage old book
Meanwhile, I have just listed a load of old magazines and opera programmes to be sold and the money is going towards the cost of a college course I wish to attend. Its a short course, 8 evenings and I will be learning how to develop old black and white film into photographs.
cordelia and king lear by ford madox brown old print
The reason why I am going on this course is because I have 12 old undeveloped films all from around the 1940's that I wish to develop.
ferdinand lured by ariel by je millais old prints
So, on with ripping up old books and scanning these lovely old prints and other pieces of ephemera
cordelia comforting king lear in prison by george w joy old prints
PS I guess you figured out the reason for the title of this post, I have been 'breaking' a couple of the William Shakespeare's books. All printed in the 1930's so these prints are over 70 years old and there are 21 in total. They are all paintings by some of the 'masters' and there are some fine examples, I will post some more images soon.
othello and desdemona by hubert herkomer old print

No comments: